Massages are a popular spa option and can be an excellent side income. Massage therapists typically charge per hour, and the price will vary depending on the area of your expertise and experience. Massage therapy as a business is regulated by individual state licensing boards, so you’ll need to contact your local board to find out what qualifications you’ll need to start this type of business.
This massage therapy business plan outlines the steps you can take to turn your idea into a successful business. It will give you an overview of the different enterprises that may be appropriate for you, and will help you to plan in detail how to move forward in achieving your goals.
You’ll need to identify what services will be offered, how much they’ll cost, what qualifications are necessary for staff members, and any necessary licensing or certification requirements. You’ll also need to calculate your costs so that you can work out how much revenue is needed for the business to be profitable.
List of things required to start your massage parlor
The startup costs for a massage parlor vary greatly depending on the location, type of business, and quality of service that is desired. The most common cost is the initial payment for the business license. Other costs include rent or mortgage, supplies, permits and insurance. Some of these expenses are fixed while others are variable.
It is important to understand the costs of starting up. For example, you will need to purchase equipment like tables and massage chairs, as well as work space. You may also need insurance and licenses if you plan on working with clients in your studio.
How much does it cost to open a massage therapy business?
There is no clear answer for this question, it all depends on the type of therapy in your services and many external factor, but a standard massage parlor serving 4 people at a time could cost you up to 20000$ to set up if you are conservative on your budget. If you are planning to start a luxurious spa and massage parlor, then it is better to keep at least 50000$ for the initial expenditures.
Given the growing awareness about the safety and effectiveness of massage therapy, it has become a popular choice for people suffering from chronic pain. However, opening a massage therapy business can be expensive and time consuming. Renting space is not cheap either.
However, it will be worth the cost if you want to provide an outstanding experience for your clients. Plus, you will need the space to expand your business in the future. Here are some of the things that may add up to your bills..
- The equipment needed will vary largely, depending on whether you work in a studio or from your home.
- The costs of gloves, aromatherapy, office supply , product for resale, pillows, stools, causations, candles, creams and oils, and other additional massage equipment like tables and chairs.
- And the costs of advertising, and you will want to purchase a website for your business and also the advertising materials costs, such as business cards, fliers, greeting cards, gift certificates, brochures, bags and boxes etc.
- There are other things that may cost you on the legal side if something goes wrong, so it is always good to save for the rainy day. These costs include the cost of products liability, personal injury liability, medical expenses, sexual abuse liability.
massage parlor licenses, safety and quality certificates, insurance , business permits from your local governments. Please ask your local authorities for more information on permits required for your venture.
You must get certified because most states regulate massage centers so that they keep it professional, in most of the countries, some form of certification is required to become a professional massage therapist.
Health and quality parameters: Some countries have stricter rules. Some western countries have directories and advisories on how to maintain health and hygiene at the place of business. Here are some examples:
- Firstly, all massage services are directed at all time to be equipped with an appropriate supply of clean sanitary towels, coverings and linens, and all massage tables to be covered with clothes.
- Wet and dry heat rooms, shower compartments and toilet rooms to be thoroughly cleaned everyday.
- All creams, liquids or other preparations used on or made available to patrons to be kept in a clean and closed container.
So, if you are living in a country with such stricter rules, please follow all the health advisories or you may lose your license.
- This business runs on mouth to mouth advertising. Happier the customer, better the advertisement.
- Through social media, mail or even direct mail, providing your client with helpful information will keep them coming back for more.
- Have a presence on google and tag your massage parlour location so when people search ‘massage parlour near me’ or ‘nearest massage parlour to me’ on google, then google can show your location directly.
- Sharing links, photos and stories of and through your customers is a great way to stay top-of-mind on the social media platforms.
- And collecting your clients contact information and e-mail addresses will allow you to stay in touch.
- Try offering exclusive deals or offers to customers who like and share your social page.
Massage parlor marketing is not a one-size-fits-all type of task. There are many things that you should and should not do when marketing your massage business. This business comes with its own pros and cons.
- A massage therapist offers the opportunity to improve the quality of life for clients and get fulfillment though that. So, it is a happiness sharing business.
- The next best thing is money. If you are good at it, people are ready to pay you top dollar. Self-employed massage therapists typically earn up to $50 per hour or between $60,000 to $100,000 per year.
- Working with your hand day in and day out along with constant physical demands of massage can lead to some negative health issues.
- It consumes more time , most massage therapists work between 50 to 60 hours per week.
Franchises opportunities for opening your massage therapy business
A massage therapy business can be lucrative and profitable, but it isn’t for everyone. It takes a lot of work and dedication to be successful in this industry. A franchise opportunity can help take some of the weight off your shoulders and allow you to focus on the things you’re good at while still having an income. Here are some companies offering franchise opportunities : Spaso zen, Kairali ayurvedic center, Spry babies, Shuddhi salon and spa etc.
Hope this article helps you in your adventure. Please checkout other awesome business ideas mentioned in our blog. If you want to know about starting a plant nursery, click here . You can also checkout our other agriculture related posts here.