Silk is a unique protein fiber produced from the interface of plants and animals, this began in china. and silk weaving is done through sericulture or the rearing of mulberry plants or by cocoon. Lets discuss more about silk production business in depth.
This is used in the textile industry and it is known for its lightest and strongest natural fiber.
Silk production is India’s oldest and still functioning business and India is the second largest producer of silk. India is the only country that produces all five types of commercial silk.
- The first thing is to start your silk business to have an in-depth knowledge of the market , you have to study the market and find out the direct supplier of silk. You have to know the background of the silk industry, it will help your business plan.
- You have to make a successful business plan and when you are going to start the silk production business there are two things ,first is screen business or a business that sells silk cloth.
- You have to understand the demographics, habits and the different aspects of the business and pattern of the potential customers and making use of the internet to grow one’s silk business.
- You must find a good location for the silk business, this is important because location is everything and this can make or break the business and hire staff and address the different aspects of the business.
Related to: Sericulture, fabrics, manufacturing.
Industry:manufacturing industry,clothing industry.
Related costs: 30000$-50000$ for infrastructure ,machinery, it also contains a lot of maintenance cost, labour cost and marketing costs.
The other investment costs include the cost of raw materials, transportation charges, cocoon costs, cost of silkworm shed and silkworm eggs, bedding material costs, cultivation costs, etc.
Suitable for: anyone, with a good knowledge of sericulture.
Permits: safety certificates, quality certificates, business license. please contact the local authorities for more information.
- In the quality certification,all the silkworm eggs must be disease free.
- The number of worms coming out of the eggs represented in percentage.
- A seed producer shall conduct a quality of the parent seed cocoon and purchase only well suited.
Requirements: thread extraction, machinery, dying equipment, spinning, weaving, storing area, marketing team if not a whole selling.
- For the purpose of food for silkworms to be harvested the land is an important requirement.
- Varieties of planting material that bear many leaves.
- The main and basic requirement is a silkworm rearing house with hygienic conditions.
- And also the silkworm eggs must be obtained from approved silkworm egg breeders.
- And also the equipment such as rearing beds, mountages, sprayer pump, chopping boards, they are rearing equipment and also the equipment for form such as jember printing saws for cutting larger shoots, secateurs for harvesting the leaves.
- local news outlets,banners,affiliation,discounts,social media,sample projects with one client,have a website.
- And you have to use advertisements through various social media like whatsapp,facebook,youtube,and also use digital marketing.
- Silk is a product that has got immense ancient value and also it is always in demand by india.
Pros: absorbent, hypoallergenic, strong, comfortable.
- Silk production is an eco-friendly activity and also a human friendly occupation.
- It occupies less space for cultivation of blackberries and it gives a lot of job opportunities.
- Dried mulberry twigs and branches can be used as fuels by the farmers, and it lessens pollution.
- It’s a very profitable business and it does not harm the environment.
- Investment of only rs.12,000 to rs.15,000 for mulberry cultivation and silkworm rearing.
- Silk business needs a lot of care, expensive, can be damaged easily due to sun and water, and questions of being unethical.
- The insects are very sensitive to any type of fly spray and very dependent on the handling of the farmer.
- Sericulture is not an eco-friendly practice because during sericulture silkworm is boiled to get silk fibers so it produces the toxic elements it effects to the atmosphere.
- The harmful insects cousin diseases through viruses such as yellow worms.
- Silkworms can be affected by pebrine disease; the disease infects and kills the eggs even before the formulation of larva.
Silk industry size : India was one of the largest exporters of silk in 2018-19worth almost 189 million dollars.
Franchise opportunities in the silk business: Mysore silk udyog franchise, central silk board, government agencies.
Hope this article helps you. Please checkout other awesome business ideas mentioned in our blog. If you want to know about starting a plant nursery, click here . You can also checkout our other agriculture related posts here.